What will 2017 bring?

Thursday, December 29, 2016

After finishing the Worth dress in the summer, and the summer holidays, I didn't manage to get myself going again. I decided to take a sewing break until the end of 2016, to focus on other personal things in my life and in order to bring myself some clarity to where I wanted to go with all the sewing and pattern drafting. That being said, 2016 is coming to an end, and I feel ready for new sewing adventures. I wanted to quickly make a list of things I have to sew in 2017. This is a crazy list, I'm going wild here. I don't want this list to haunt me, making me think of all the things I should be doing but I am not (which is numbing and why I took a break in the first place). This is just a collection of projects I've been thinking about, and I would like to attempt at sewing in the upcoming year. (And we'll see which ones eventually get made and which ones don't.)

Evening gown, ca. 1880, silk, gold thread, lace, silk braid and silk flowers, Museo de Historia Mexicana
Two years ago, I started working on an 1880's evening gown, inspired by this original evening gown. I never finished it, due to the many pleated trimmings! But I want to make an attempt at finishing the gown, because I fear in a while I might not be happy with my original sewing on this dress, and might not want to continue it anymore at all

Living History - 18 by Fatalis-Polunica
For a while now, I've been researching East- and West-Slav costume of the 9th - 11th century. I really want to make an ensemble based on this research. This costume would contain many different I want to make myself, such as a tabletwoven belt, trimmings and embroidery. While working on it a while back, I got stuck on the fitting of the basic pattern. I wanted to make adjustments to the pattern for a better fit, but the adjustments wouldn't be in line with historical reconstructions. Or I should go for a different basic pattern altogether. I wasn't able to decide, and the project got put aside.
I want to go back to the different options, try a few more to decide on the better fit, and go from there. The embroidery is also quite difficult to figure out, because of the rarity of archaeological sources, and the fact that most sources are in Russian (google translate helps a bunch, but doesn't work on PDF's and books unfortunately).
The Scandalous Lady W (2015)
Probably one of the more ambitious projects, or at least the most fancy looking ones, I really want to create, is this redingote as seen in The Scandalous Lady W. As I mentioned in a previous post, I absolutely love redingotes, and especially if they have stripes! The most challenging part of this ensemble, will probably finding a fabric suited to recreate this one. It's impossible to find the same fabric (if only!), but I hope to find a dark fabric with symmetrical stripes (which will already be a challenge on itself).
Shirt, 1750-1800, Great Britain, V&A
This men's shirt doesn't look as challenging as the others, which it indeed is. This should be a quick, basic piece, where I can focus on an absolutely perfect finish. I want to make a men's shirt which my boyfriend can use under different historical outfits I might make him in the future. Since the men's shirt didn't change that much through history, he can probably use it for quite a few different centuries.
Sam Heughan as Jamie in Outlander. Costume by Terry Dresbach.
I've been watching Outlander since the beginning, and I must admit I totally fell in love with the 18th century Scottish inspired costumes. I don't care how historically acurate they are, they look absolutely fabulous. And I think this is one of the first times I'm actually more in love with the men's costumes than the women's costumes. The great kilt (the type of kilt worn here) isn't difficult. It's only a matter of finding the right fabric, pleating the fabric and wearing a belt over it. Unfortunately Jamie is also wearing some other 18th century items of clothing together with his great kilt, which are a bit more challenging.
Stays by Bridges on the Body
Laslty, and this one has been on my list for ages, I want to make some proper stays (which is what the 18th century corset was called). Years ago I found an old curtain in a second hand shop. It's a cream fabric with a red print which somewhat fits the 18th century (though it's not historically correct). Ever since I bought this, I had the stays from the picture in mind and wanted to make a similar pair. These ones are based on a pattern from the Corsets and Crinolines book by Norah Waugh, which I also have in my (ever growing) book collection. So all that is left to do is adjust the pattern to my measurements, and sew!

Apart from all these crazy plans, I also want to work more on my basic sewing techniques, and focus on proper sewing technique and finishing. I also really need some new trousers, which I've been planning on making for a while now, since I can never find any in the store that fit me. And further (as if my list isn't long enough yet), I'd also like to experiment some more with textile design techniques. I'm pretty sure my list is long enough to keep me busy for the rest of my life, and it is ever growing, so we'll see which projects make it and which ones don't.

I'm wishing you all a happy and productive new year!


Are any of the links in this blogposts broken? Please let me know, so I can try to update them!

You Might Also Like

0 comments